photo header-with-shadow-and-back.gif
 photo Menu-Bar-thinner-lines_01.png photo Menu-Bar-thinner-lines_02.png photo Menu-Bar-thinner-lines_03.png photo Menu-Bar-thinner-lines_04.png photo Menu-Bar-thinner-lines_05.png photo Menu-Bar-thinner-lines_06.png

Maybe we ARE crazy. Walsers are not known for taking the path of least resistance. Things are perfectly fine the way they are, and one could argue we’ve got enough on our plate as it is. And yet we have chosen this path anyway. We had decided to adopt a child from Ethiopia. Why? I’ll explain the best I can.

A few years ago, Joe and I could not shake the feeling that God was asking more from us than we were willing to give. We felt that we had committed to serving him with our lives, and had been doing so by serving in full time ministry. Ministry has its perks, but it is not an easy road nor is it a money-making scheme. But we had carved out a pretty comfortable and secure life in a place we enjoyed surrounded by people we enjoyed, and we were doing what we enjoyed.

None of that was bad in and of itself. But we both knew that the life we had was one we had orchestrated to be how we wanted it to be, with little room for risk. So we decided to step out and risk it all—plant a church in a state we had never lived in with three friends in tow. So there were five of us. And we knew almost no one. We left our home, our friends, our paycheck…behind. It’s been scary at times and there are still days we don’t know how it will all play out. But there is no doubt in our minds that God called us here.

And He called us here not just for the church, although He does want us to give our lives away for it. And not just for the lost, although we seek daily to be used to reach them. But also for US--for His process in us, our dependence on Him and our daily dying to ourselves.

Which brings me to this decision we have made. It is amazing to me how easy it is for me to slip back into a routine and life where I am comfortable and isolated. It’s like in Isaiah 58 when God says “On the day of fasting, you do as YOU please…” (vs. 3). On the surface, I am offering my sacrifice, but it is still on MY terms and when it is convenient for me. But I do not want to live that way.

I want a life full of risks. I want to live and love with abandon. I want to live like I believe the gospel is true. In fact, I want my life and the decisions I make to only make sense in light of faith. In other words, that I MUST believe in something unseen, some future hope, some invisible kingdom. If my life can be dismissed, my decisions explained by any other reason, then I have failed to be the light and salt I am called to be.

For years, Joe and I have both said we were open to adoption if God ever called us to do so. As John Piper says, adoption is the heart of the gospel and the clearest picture of what God has done for us. And it had become clear to us in the last few weeks, that He is calling our family to be a living example through adoption…so we are obeying.

You may have many questions about the whens and whys and hows of our decision (as do we! : ) ), and I hope to answer some of those with my postings on this blog. (If you have a specific question, feel free to post as a comment.) I invite you to subscribe to email updates in the link to the right, bookmark it, follow it however works best for you---and keep up with us as we embark on this journey.

For now, watch this brief video as John Piper talks about adoption as God’s plan from the beginning…and be encouraged. And please pray for us. We’d be grateful.

(Note: To silence music so you can hear video, scroll down to pink playlist and hit pause button.)

8 comments:

Erica said...

Tears. We are so excited to see what God has planned for your little family. Praying for the littlest Walser even now. To God be the glory and honor forever!

Gwen Oatsvall said...

would love to join you on your journey !!! i pray if God has a way for our family to help you that He will reveal it ... Blessings !!!

Unknown said...

Just when I thought I had all the grandkids I was gonna get...
You guys have been great parents to Nathan, Josh, Hannah, and Danielle. I know that any child God brings to you will be equally blessed and cherished.
I love you crazy Walsers-
Mom

Jon Kemp said...

You guys ARE crazy but that's not a new development. Seriously, we love you guys and will be praying for you. Would love to hear what directed you to chose Ethiopia and if you are trying to get a boy or girl (or if you even care.)

Love you,
JON

Silvers Family Blog said...

Answer to your question: No, you are not crazy, you are Christ-like, unto the praise and glory of HIS Grace!! Please let us know how we can help you, having already been down this wonderful road to adopt our Anna. So excited for you and the Waulks!

Cindy Wu said...

Rachel, i just looked over your blog and am so amazed and inspired by your big step of faith. I trust that in the end, you will find out how much you are the recipients of this gift!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Rachel! I am a new follower and so glad to find you. We are pursuing adoption as well. I love and so relate to this post! I look forward to reading more about you and your family!
Blessings!

Candace

Katie Clifton said...

Hi Rachel...I just randomly ran across your blog..well, actually God led me here. My husband and I (along with our 2 kids) have been on a whirlwind adoption journey. Our daughter is due in 6 days and I know God led me to your blog to hear your words and hear from God's heart. My husband and I were missionaries in Kenya this past summer, and although we would love to adopt from Africa, God quickly opened doors for African American domestic adoption. Lizah (God's Promise) Cruz (Cross) will soon join our family:) I realize this is random, but would you pray for us and our birth mom? Adoption is such an incredible display of the sacrificial love God showed us through Jesus. Our hearts will be broken if God's plan is for us to not come home with our daughter...but there is an unexplainable ache in my heart for our birth mom. For me to come home with my baby, she will go home without hers. God has given me an unexplainable love for our amazing birth mom. She is 21, a college student, and is trying to seek God and make the best decision for her daughter and herself. Please pray for us all. In the next 6 days God's plans will unfold. Pray for HIS will to be done. Pray for comfort for us all. Pray that our birth mom knows she is beautifully and wonderfully made and that God has a hope for her future far greater than she can dream for herself. Thank you for sharing your adoption journey, your family is beautiful.